top 30 is a weekly section of the blog where we share the 30 artists/albums that received the most play on WOBC this week. click on any entry to visit the myspace, last.fm, bandcamp, or website of that artist.
1 MOONFACE Organ Music Not Vibraphone Like I’d Hoped
2 WASHED OUT Within And Without
3 PURE X Pleasure
4 BRILLIANT COLORS Again and Again
really excited about these guys from san francisco. this is their second release out on slumberland, and it sounds like a mix of best coast and new order, but on sleeping pills.
5 TORO Y MOI Saturday Love [Single]
6 REAL ESTATE It’s Real [Single]
yeah!!!! this sunny, viscous single from real estate fits right in on any muggy summer afternoon. isn’t it so nice when a band from your hometown is actually good??
7 BON IVER Bon Iver
8 MEMORY TAPES Player Piano
9 BEACH FOSSILS What A Pleasure [EP]
10 WOODS Sun And Shade
11 PICTUREPLANE Thee Physical
playing a show at the grog shop’s b-side liquor lounge on july 27, with oberlin cuties teengirl fantasy. want tickets? hit us up!!
12 JULIANNA BARWICK The Magic Place
13 HANDSOME FURS Sound Kapital
14 DESTROYER Kaputt
15 SAN CISCO Golden Revolver
16 GROUPER AIA: Dream Loss/Alien Observer
17 SELEBRITIES Delusions
18 ICEAGE New Brigade
19 BATTLES Gloss Drop
20 CULTS Cults
21 SHABAZZ PALACES Black Up
22 WHITE DENIM D
23 COM TRUISE Galactic Melt
24 CHAD VALLEY Equatorial Ultravox
25 BLACK LIPS Arabia Mountain
26 BJORK “Crystalline” [Single]
27 SONIC YOUTH The Eternal
28 NEIL YOUNG A Treasure
29 BILL CALLAHAN Apocalypse
30 GIVERS In Light
and be sure to stay tuned for an upcoming review of last sunday’s moonface show at the grog shop!! spoiler alert: it was really good.
Washed Out - Within and Without
washed out – within and without
– just when you think you’re finally over chillwave, washed out comes out with a new album and you feel all warm and dizzy inside. don’t fight it. if ‘life of leisure’ was last summer’s jam, then ‘within and without’ is it’s snowy counterpart, glistening and melancholic, arctic and balearic. listen to ‘soft’ or ‘you and i’, and pretend you are on a train in the alps. see what i mean here?
moonface – organ music not vibraphone like i’d hoped – spencer krug (wolf parade, sunset rubdown, swan lake, etc.) returns again, with yet another weird moniker (is there a formula to these?), and if you like him, you will like him. (is that not helpful?)
pictureplane – thee physical – pulsing aerial dance beats chopped and screwed in outer space. everyone is starting to sound like shannon funchess, and pictureplane is doing the best job of it. check out ‘trancegender’ for those deep house vocals and a catchy, swelling hook.
brian eno with rick holland – drums between the bells – rick holland is a ‘thinker and a writer’, according to his blog. brian eno is an ‘ambient legend’, according to more internet.
WOBC is proud to announce our official participation in the first ever COLLEGE RADIO DAY, taking place October 11, 2011.
“The aim of College Radio Day is to raise a greater, national awareness of the many college and high school radio stations that operate in North America by encouraging people who would not normally listen to college radio to do so on this day. It is hoped that those people who do tune in like what they hear and become regular listeners. The organizers of College Radio Day believe that college radio is one of the last remaining bastions of creative radio programming, free from the constrictions of having to be commercially viable, and a place where those involved in its programming believe passionately in its mission.”
For more information, check out CMJ’s interview with co-founder of College Radio Day, Rob Quicke, or visit www.collegeradioday.com.
Pure X – Pleasure
Top 5 Adds is a weekly section of the WOBC Blog that displays the Top 5 most played new albums at the station. Each album links to the band’s myspace, Last.fm, or other music player so you can check them out for yourself!
1. Pure X – Pleasure // Austin, Texas’ Pure X–though you may remember them as Pure Ecstasy–finally released their debut full-length album: the aptly named Pleasure. Regardless of their slight name change, these dudes are still making the same signature dreamy garage pop, washed out in reverberating fuzz. Check out ‘Easy’ or ‘Dream Over’ if you’re sitting on a porch and just want to exist.
2. Memory Tapes – Player Piano // The biggest difference between Player Piano and 2009′s hit Seek Magic is the prominence of Dayve Hawk’s voice; while previously obscured behind echoed filters and glistening chillwave (back when we were still excited about it), on Player Piano you can actually… hear it. Whether or not this is a positive thing remains to be determined.
3. Com Truise – Galactic Melt // Deep, retro synthesizer vibes.
4. Bon Iver – Bon Iver // It got a 9.5 on pitchfork!! Isn’t that exciting??
5. Selebrities – Delusions // New-New Wave.
summer programming has officially begun! check out the programs page for the updated schedule of 2011 wobc summer programming.
our summer hours are monday through friday, 8am to 4pm. be sure to tune in!!
summer applications are now up!!! no experience necessary to apply!! you can find them online at:
applications are due by friday, june 17 at midnight //
shows will be posted outside of the station by 10pm saturday //
there will be an all-station meeting on sunday //
programming will start monday at 8am //
happy hotdog summer~!!