WE ARE BACK IN ACTION FOR THE SEMESTER. LISTEN TO THIS SHOW!!
What is your show called? When is it?
Our show is African Jam Session, Mondays 5-6pm
Describe your show in 3 words:
Crazy. Sexy. Cool.
Sample playlist of show:
1. Pata Pata- Temi Dollface(Nigeria)
3. Batonga- Angelique Kidjo(Benin)
4. Les disques de Mon Pere– Youssoupha (Congo)
5. Vuli Ndlela- Brenda Fassie (South Africa)
6. Premier Gaou-Magic System (Cote d’ Ivoire)
7. Sorkode- Keche (Ghana)
8. Jika- Mi Casa (South Africa)
9. Come Over- Vanessa Mdee (Tanzania)
10. Kognini- Espoir 2000 (Cote d’ Ivoire)
11. Come on Man- Toofan (Togo)
12. I Found A Way- Werrason ft. Mohombi (DRC)
13. 3 Points- Gasmilla (Ghana)
14. Fere Na Fere-Cheick Tidiane Seck (Mali)
15 Sounsoumba – Oumou Sangare (Mali)
16. Motherland by Yvonne Chaka Chaka (South Africa)
What is the biggest inspiration for your show?
The motherland and the dismal lack of African music you hear being played here in the U.S., while in many parts of Africa the billboards are topped with U.S. artists.
If you could have anyone alive or dead listen to your show, who would it be?
We’re 4.5% sure that Lupita Nyong’o already listens, but if she like called in every Monday and was like “Hey guys you’re the best let’s all party with Jared Leto” it would be super awesome.
What is the best concert you’ve ever been to?
Mayowa (DJ Pumbaa)- I think I’ll always hold a special spot in my heart for Phoenix, because that was the first concert I went to
Eni (DJ Timon) – BET 106&Park tour It was the best as in it was the cheapest, I got to see Lil Wayne, Ne-Yo, Chris Brown, Young Joc, and some other obscure artists for 10 bucks my freshman year of high school.
What is your favorite WOBC show?
Bruxxsel …we don’t know what the title means, but the music is groovy! Sundays at 9 pm
We are proud to come back this semester with such a strong session! Alumni Ron Shalom and Austin Vaughn Returned for a great seamless session in november. We loved to have them in the studio! Stay tuned as we post the final sessions from last semester and keep listening at 1PM on sundays for all new sessions!
I asked the staff to make a top five list of anything music-related in 2013; some DJs were more ‘creative’ than others:
†0p 5 “moments” of 2K13 (in backwards chronological order)
Nick, Engineer, punk director
1. making kim gordon smile one time
2. making masami akita (merzbow) smile one time
3. novice, LFSB: 002
4. summer 2013
5. wildboy live set in hark 312
Top Five Albums of 2013 Liam: Traffic Director
1. Double Cup–(DJ Rashad/DJ Spinn)
3. Send A Prayer EP–(Motor City Drum Ensemble)
4. Boat Party–(Kyle Hall)
5. Caramel–(Connan Mockasin)
Top 5 New Music Sivan: Vinyl Director
1. Greg Stuart & Michael Pisaro – Closed Categories in Cartesian Worlds
Julia Holter – Loud City Song
3. Greg Stuart & Joe Panzner – Dystonia Duos
4. Greg Stuart & Antoine Beuger – Sixteen Stanzas on Stillness and Music Unheard
5. Tom Johnson & Samuel Vriezen – The Chord Catalogue; Within Fourths/Within Fifths
“I don’t listen to enough new music, but I do listen to a lot of New Music, i.e. contemporary classical music, which doesn’t usually take its form in albums. Here’s a small collection of what has, though. Greg Stuart is a wonderful percussionist who had an extremely productive year, performing works by Michael Pisaro and Antoine Beuger and collaborating with electronic artist Joe Panzner. He and Panzner will be in Oberlin in March performing their own music and a (different) piece by Pisaro. Julia Holter is now more firmly in the “pop” world, but she studied composition with Pisaro. Her newest album is, this is not really a hyperbole, indescribably good. Her background shows, but only in a good way. Finally, a recording that actually matters of an “old” classical piece (on the label founded by Beuger) – Samuel Vriezen performs Tom Johnson’s 1986 piece “The Chord Catalogue,” which systematically presents every possible chord within a single octave at lightning fast speed.”
Top 5 tracks to ignore-hw-and-hit-the-beer-bong-instead-to
1.“Let it Go” – A$AP Ferg — first track on an all around great album, Ferg’s v recent Trap Lord
2.“Dark Horse” – Katy Perry, Juicy J — better than ur thinking it’ll be, trust
3. “Play” – David Banner — nasty
4. Female$ Welcomed – Trinidad James — a nice gesture
5. Splash Waterfalls – Ludacris — ya
Top Five Albums Chuck: Freeform Director
1. Stephan Mathieu- The Falling Rocket (dekorder records)